Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Back And Going Gluten Free!


     Well life has a way of throwing curve balls at you! This time, for me at least, it may be for the best. I have recently developed a Gluten intolerance. Late in life mind you, this is a big change for me. I was not long ago in the camp of people who said, "What is this gluten allergy thing? Why is it so prevalent now? Are these people just looking for attention?"
     It turns out no, it is real and recently it has risen like the latest fashion trend, only this is serious for some people. This allergy is not new but it is on a drastic rise. I had to ask myself, "Why now so late in life, and is it just me or was this not a thing ten years ago?" That answer is actually as complicated as it is easy to answer. So lets talk gluten!
     It turns out Celiac is quite old as far as a known medical condition. Only recently though has the term been used to group multiple gluten related issues. I guess now would be a good time to let those of you who don't already know, what gluten is. Gluten is a general name for the proteins found in wheat (wheatberries, durum, emmer, semolina, spelt, farina, farro, graham, KAMUT® khorasan wheat and einkorn), rye, barley and triticale – a cross between wheat and rye. Gluten helps foods maintain their shape, acting as a glue that holds food together. Gluten can be found in many types of foods, even ones that would not be expected.
Read more at https://celiac.org/live-gluten-free/glutenfreediet/what-is-gluten/#imjW2EqX2zGk72MV.99 (note I copied that statement from the linked web page).
     The easy and uncomplicated answer is: Yes gluten intolerance is on the rise. While there is still research to be done and debate to be had, it would seem that GMO of wheat is the possible cause. With the modern day science of modifying our food for various reasons, the food we eat today is just not the same version of the food we ate even only 100 years ago. I really think you should visit this article I found that has great information and plenty of links to the research that it sites: The Rise Of Gluten Intolerance by: Kristen Michaelis at Food Renegade. Unfortunately this modification of our food to make it better may be causing more trouble than the problems it is supposed to fix. If you stop and think about it, it seems logical. Humans take hundreds and thousands of years to evolve. We have within the last century put our food through those years of evolution while we lag behind. I equate this to the whole Western civilization is able to digest dairy while others can not, due to evolution. 


      This brings me to where I am today. I now have an intolerance to gluten. This is a big life change for me as I work in an Italian restaurant and am used to just eating what ever I pleased. At first I was very upset about this development. Then as I did some research and cooked a few meals it became exciting. I am among the lucky ones that can get away without going completely gluten free. Some people have drastic reactions to gluten, while I just get a bad rash. I am still learning how much gluten I can handle so I have done my best to cut gluten out completely. 
      I am now at a point where I think it is time to get back to what I love doing. Cooking, learning, and writing. I am going to start this blog back up with a focus on low and gluten free food options. I will be posting my finds and restaurant reviews. This time around I will be much more critical about the options and practices of these restaurants. While I don't expect small local restaurants to have gluten free menus, I do however expect major chains to have at the very least a knowledge of Celiac and gluten free options. 

     I look forward to getting out there and trying new foods as well as getting Wichita Falls Foodie up an running again. While at this point I am not sure how often I will be posting, I hope at least two or three times a week. I will be posting everything from new snack ideas to recipes to restaurant reviews. I hope you will join me in this new journey in life and share with those you think could benefit from this new low to zero gluten direction of Wichita Falls Foodie!


No comments:

Post a Comment