Friday, June 14, 2013

Classic American Cooking: Braised Oxtail

 
America is a mixing pot of cultures.  This makes for a diverse style of cooking.  I have been thinking about this a lot.  What are the roots and classic styles of American cooking?  Now that is a really difficult question to give you a direct answer to.  We as Americans have developed our own style borrowing techniques and recipes from around the world.
 
One of the most classic styles of cooking is Braising.  I am sure most of you know what braising is but for those of you who don't, then read on!  World wide people eat parts of animals we throw away as delicacies.  Depending on what part of the globe you are on Oxtail is one such cut of beef.  It is a tough cut so it requires time and love to cook properly.  I chose to start a Culinary Journey through American history and then beyond so I thought Braised Oxtail was a great way to start.
 
I just went by taste on this one.  I started by flouring and browning the Oxtail.  I used red wine and beef stock as my braising liquid and for flare I topped the Oxtail with fresh thyme and basil.  I braised the Oxtail for four hours then added Potatoes, Onions, Celery, and  Carrots and braised for another hour.
 
 
The result is a fork tender flavorful delight!
 
 
I intend on doing more with this one so keep and eye out!  What  is your favorite Braising Recipe? 

 
I also roasted some Beef Marrow with thyme and basil.  It is very rich and so I served it with toasted cibatta bread topped with tomato vinaigrette and a side of roasted tomatoes.
 
 
So this is part one of my new Culinary Journey! I am excited to see where it takes me and I hope you will join me from home!
 



1 comment:

  1. Very good article. I enjoyed it alot

    ReplyDelete