Friday, May 31, 2013

The Julian Pie Co. Apple Cookbook's Pork and Apple Pie

 
     This is a special post for me.  This is where my journey with the Restaurant Industry began.  The Julian Pie Co. in Julian/Santa Ysabel California.  Little did I know then the seed of my passion for making great food and making people happy via that food was planted.  I began working there in the summer of 1997, the year I graduated High school.  At that time is was the perfect job for me.  I was terribly shy and prone to mischief.  If you have ever worked at a bakery then you know the hours.
 
     Start at 3 A.M. peeling apples so bakers had fresh product to work with when they arrived at 5 A.M..  Those hours really put pressure on my partying.  I thank the heavens for that, because damn, I don't want to think what would have happened.  Julian is a small town 60 miles north east of San Diego, the most amazing place to grow up.  I wish I had known then what I was doing and where I lived was so unique.
 
     In this day and age of processed foods and  rapidly expanding business models Liz Smothers, owner and master baker has done everything to fight to keep her family run bakery local. She refused to compromise quality for expansion.  So unless you are in San Diego county, where they do wholesale pies to major and smaller markets like Albertson's and local deli's, you will have to get on their website and order one.  The Smothers family was part of a revolution though I doubt they realize or would admit it.  Local food, made from scratch, with the most available local products.  Keeping local means giving local.  I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you to the Smothers family.  You all have done so much for the community you are a part of and I thank you for all the positive influence you have had in my life.
 

     The Julian Pie Co. has the apple lovers dream of a Cookbook.  The Julian Pie Company Apple Cookbook.  I love this book.  It is a collection of local recipes from appetizers to deserts including a "Specialties from and for children" chapter.  This is the first of many recipes from this book I plan to blog about.  Pork and Apple Pie!
 
Here is What You Need:
 
1 pound lean ground pork
 1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
2 1/2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 medium onion chopped
Dash of black pepper
3 cooking apples, I prefer Granny Smith for this recipe for a sweet/tart balance
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Two 9 inch round pastry or pie crust
9 inch baking tin
1 table spoon melted butter
Non stick spray or butter to prevent crust from sticking to pie tin
 
     Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.  Get your onion chopped and apples peeled and cored. Rub the peeled apples with lemon juice to help prevent oxidation of your apples.  Start browning your ground pork and onion. While that is working you can move on to finishing the apple prep.  Slice two of the apples and chop the last one. When your pork and onion mixture is done browning remove it from the heat.  Toss the chopped apple in 1/2 table spoon brown sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon.  Add the chopped apple, chicken broth, salt, black pepper, bread crumbs and mix.  Toss the sliced apples with the remaining cinnamon and sugar.  Line your pie tin with whatever it is you have chosen to help prevent sticking then add the bottom pastry.  Spoon in your meat mixture and top with your sliced apples.  Place the top pastry on and flute the edges, brush evenly with the melted butter for a nice brown finish to you crust.  Place in oven and bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until pork has reached at least 165 degrees and your apples are cooked thorough.
 
     This is a family and friend favorite.  A classic American style dish with harmonious flavor profiles.  The paring of pork and apple is a beautiful sweet and savory combination.  I have made this recipe my own, if you want the original recipe by Rheta Kar, you will have to order the book from the Julian Pie Company yourself! See what I did there, trying to kick some business your way Liz!  If you are an apple addict like I am then you will not be disappointed in your purchase. 
 
     I made this for my new roommates, this was our first dinner together at the house.  Of course I was nervous even though my family loves it.  They had never really experienced the pork and apple combination and were skeptical.  They LOVED it!  The next day at work John had told everyone about it and all my co-workers are trying to order one from me.  So here you all go, here is the recipe, make it and enjoy!  I served mine with butter roasted herb potatoes and sweet carrots.  This will  be sure to impress and pleasantly surprise your guests at your next dinner gathering or pot luck.
 
Love Food, Live Life!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment