Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011 :) A Foodie holiday if ever there was one!


Well first off I need to apologize for my absence. I was going astray but with the help of good family and friends who kept on me about stopping my blogging I have made it a mission to make a comeback! Thanks to you all who helped me through this difficult time in my life and pushed me to get the help I needed and made me realize what is important to me! :D I love you all and can not stress enough how much you all mean to me.

So with Thanksgiving in sight the family decided I should do the cooking.  Don't get me wrong I was excited to do so, but my family loves the IDEA of me cooking more than my Style of cooking.  They are steak and potato people.  So am I but I don't do simple!  Everything I do has my own twist, a signature if you will.  Don't all the great chefs try to test themselves with every thing they do?  So my Mom and I had dinner at Applebee's one night and planned out a menu that would meet both worlds in the middle. 

I tossed a few ideas her way and she responded with "Now remember who your cooking for."

I had to laugh and said "No, they need to remember who they asked to cook!"  You would not go into Gordon Ramsay's Maze and expect hamburgers and hot dogs would you?  I hope not LOL!

We did end up with a great and fun menu in the end.

The star of the show was Prime Rib.  My favorite cut of beef aside from Veal Osso Bucco.  


All I do for my Prime Rib is rub it down with McCormick Spicy Montreal Steak Seasoning and garlic powder.


For our first side we agreed on Scalloped Potatoes, right out of the box :) I did talk her into getting the Loaded ones with bacon and sour cream!


Next I got to play with green beans!  My Mom got me a subscription to Food Network Magazine so this was the first recipe I talked her into letting me try.  It was really good.  Fresh green beans, bacon, roasted pecans with crushed red pepper!  It went over really well of course, because everything is better with bacon :)


My sister in law brought over a classic Sweet Potato dish.  It was yummy and usual!


The next dish I talked her into was easy.  I played on her love for Black Beans.  This is an idea I had, sure it is not original but it was for me.  I call it Black Bean and Corn Salad.
Here is what you need:
1 can black beans rinsed
1 can corn drained
1 can Rotell
dry cilantro to taste
garlic salt to taste
butter to taste
Just throw it all in a pot and heat! Simple and delicious!


The next recipe I stole from Albertsons!  They have a great Tomato Mozzarella salad that I am addicted to.  I of course put my own spin on it!

Wichita Falls Foodie Italian Salad
Here is what you need:
1 package each of yellow cherry tomatoes and red cherry tomatoes cut into bite size pieces
and all the other ingredients are to taste,
sliced black olive
sliced green olive
fresh basil
oregano
minced garlic
balsamic vinegar
olive oil
sliced mini boccocini mozzarella balls

This is best to make the night before serving, stirring it whenever you think about it.  This will let all the flavors marinate and the cheese soaks in all that flavorful goodness!


Dessert was a good ole cheese cake with cherries!


My Mom and I also agreed on a Sweet Potato Pie!  I had never had one before and was so pleasantly surprised at how much like pumpkin pie it tasted like.  If you have never tried one I suggest you do so as soon as possible! (I must mention to you all my Mom burnt the marshmallow :) for those of you at work who have heard me joking about my Mom burning everything this is the proof! I love you Ma!)


Ok I lost the recipe we used but there are no shortages of good ones out there! Just pick one that sounds good to you and do it!

This Thanksgiving was so fun and delicious.  I got to cook with my Mom who was the one who got me started in the kitchen and my Blog!  I love her so much and am one lucky guy to have a mother that taught me to be a gentleman and a lover of food.  I hope you all enjoyed this Foodie holiday and the friends and family it brought together on that day. 

Love Food, Live Life!
What was on your Thanksgiving Menu? Leave a comment or a Link to your Blog and share!

No comments:

Post a Comment