Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Muffin Pan Meatloaf with Balsamic Parsnips


I am having so much fun trying all these new foods!!! I like to watch British cooking shows and they are always eating things we as Americans do not.  Parsnips are a common thing served in British cooking but I have never been to a restaurant here that served them.  I have never even known anyone to cook them at home. So in the spirit of being an adventurous Foodie I made it a goal to try them.  I whipped out my Flavor Bible and put this combination together, and I must say it turned out superb!

When I lived in Pahrump NV. my roommates mom would invite us over to dinner and she usually treated us to her most mouth watering meat loaf.  I do not know her recipe all I know is that she made it with Italian sausage and beef.  I decided to make a play off of that with my own twist.  We would always fight over the end pieces so I though why not put them in a muffin pan and make each piece an end piece!

Of course one of my favorite sides of late is my Tabasco mashed potatoes so I whipped up a batch of those as well :)


Muffin Pan Meatloaf
Here is what you'll need:
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground Italian sausage
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup grated sweet onion
1 cup or more seasoned bread crumbs
2 table spoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
fresh thyme to taste
fresh rosemary to taste
salt and black pepper to taste

Start by sauteing your carrot and onion. Do there is no need to cook all the way through, but a shorter bake time due to the small size of the meat loaf muffins will not allow the veggies to cook all the way.  Add the remaining ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly with your hands.  You will probably need more bread crumbs than a cup, the key is the texture.  You want it to be firm and hold shape, if it feels loose and dose not hold shape then you will have a melting affect and just have meat blobs.  :'(''' Bake at 350 for about an hour, make sure the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees. I topped a couple with a little A1 towards the end of baking and I really liked it, when I make them again I will do it for all of them for sure.


Balsamic Parsnips

Here is what you'll need:
serves 4 to 6

Three large parsnips, peeled and sliced
two strips cooked bacon for bacon bits
5 scallions (green onion) for garnish
6 table spoons shredded Parmesan cheese
balsamic vinegar to taste


Boil your parsnips. To plate layer parsnips and Parmesan cheese. Top with bacon bits and sliced scallions.  Drizzle balsamic vinegar to finish! Easy, adventurous, and packed with flavor!

The meatloaf turned out sooooo goooood! It was moist, tender and the addition of veggies and the mustard gave it layers of flavor. Using fresh herbs whenever possible also adds a more dynamic taste to any dish. Fresh herbs are so much more flavorful and they even smell more pungent, and that in turn greatly affects the way things taste.
The parsnips are sweet like carrots once cooked.  The cheese and bacon of course make anything better! I like the balsamic finish because it leveled off the sweetness of the parsnips and pairs well with Parmesan and bacon. You NEED to try this for sure if your looking for something new to try as a side dish!

I have been loving using my Flavor Bible to come up with dishes that are as original as can be these days. Most everything has been done before, but you can always find some new flavors to combine and play with. If you try one of these I would really appreciate some feedback :) That is the only way I will know if you my readers like it! Remember to....
Love Food, Live Life!



2 comments:

  1. Your meatloaf recipe and technique are so original and cute. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx Tamar! I just do what I enjoy and hope others draw some insperation. Love Food, Live Life!

    ReplyDelete