Sunday, September 25, 2011

Roasted Lemon Chicken & Mustardy Carrots


The holiday season is creeping up!  Winter in general is my favorite season.  The holidays are just a bonus for me :)  My Mom started the holiday season a little early this year by getting me this awesome cookbook.  Southern Living is one of my favorite magazines and I have used several recipes I found from that publication on this blog.  This cookbook however was two gifts in one.  It is sold exclusively at Dillards and all the proceeds go to the Ronald McDonald House Charity!  Now if that is not worth it I don't know what is!  I am going to do several recipes from this awesome book as the holiday season treads on, hopefully you find some recipes you like and give them a try.

I recently had a friend at work want me to cook something on the lighter and healthier side.  Now I thought that was a great idea.  I need to tone back on all the super savory foods, my waist line has been moving in the wrong direction :(  I love lemon, I love chicken, I also love  carrots.  When I saw these recipes it was only natural that they make an appearance!
the above is a link to southern living

Here is what you need:

 1&1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons minced parsley
1 four pound whole chicken (I just used legs)
2 large garlic cloves minced
1/2 teaspoon black pepper divided
2 tablespoons butter softened and divided
1 teaspoon salt divided
2 tablespoons oregano divided you may need more if your not using fresh oregano
2 tablespoons fresh thyme divided

Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees.  You need to zest a lemon to equal about 2 teaspoons (save your lemon you need the juice later). Combine the garlic, zest, 1 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon, oregano, 1 tablespoon thyme, 1/2 your salt and pepper into a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. You need to loosen the skin from the chicken and rub half the butter mix under the skin.  Sprinkle the remaining seasoning into the chicken cavity and rub it in.  If you do like I did and use chicken pieces rather than a whole chicken just add all the seasoning to the butter mix.  If you are using the whole chicken rub the remaining half of the butter mix on top of the chicken. Place Chicken on a lightly greased wire rack in a lightly greased roasting pan.  Now if you are using chicken pieces you are pretty much done here, just let it roast until you get an internal temperature of 165 degrees, which was about an hour for me.  If you are using the whole chicken you will need to baste the chicken every 20 minutes, this will make it nice and brown. It will take around and hour and fifteen minutes to roast. When done remove from oven and cover with foil. Transfer the drippings to a sauce pan and bring to a boil adding the rest of your butter, parsley and about 1 tablespoon lemon juice.  Carve your chicken and drizzle the sauce over each serving. 


Mustardy Carrots

Here is what you need:

2 pound baby carrots
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon dijon mustard

Par-boil your carrots till just underdone. Drain carrots and add all your ingredients to a pan and cook, stirring constantly.  Be sure to taste and adjust the seasoning to your taste. You want the carrots to glaze so be sure not to under cook.


Normally I would provide a link directly to the recipes I use but could not find them on the site. These are not my original recipes!

The chicken is bursting with the zesty flavor that I love! Roasting it makes it nice and juicy and allows you to work on some other task while it cooks not locking you down to the stove.  The color is awesome and the herbs are visible adding to the impact.  You eat with your eyes as much as your mouth! :-D   The carrots are glazed with a home made honey mustard basically, so if your a honey mustard fan you will love them.  I do not eat honey mustard at all! But one thing I have learned from doing this food blog is that you need to try  new things and have an open mind.  Your taste buds change, and even just the pairing of certain flavors may make one thing taste much different than you think.

Love Food, Live Life!



No comments:

Post a Comment