Friday, September 9, 2011

Chilpotle Pulled Pork Sandwich with Apple Coleslaw

I got the recipe for the pork from Will McCracken and I have to say it was one of the best pulled pork recipes I have tried.  It just has onions, chilpotle peppers in adobo sauce, brown sugar, and Dr. Pepper.  It was sweet and spicy and oddly enough the pairing of Dr. Pepper and chilpotle works!  I wanted to do a coleslaw to go on the sandwich and naturally my addiction to !APPLES! came into play :-)  Not to mention pork and apple is a classic combination.  It was better than I could have hopped for. 

Here is what you'll need:

Chilpotle Pulled pork

1 pork roast
about 2 cans Dr. Pepper
1 onion quartered
1 table spoon brown sugar
1 large can chilpotle peppers in adobo sauce


This one is very simple.  Add all the ingredients to a slow cooker and cooked until the pork has reached at least 160 degrees internally.  Remove pork from the slow cooker when finished cooking and allow pull apart with two forks or wait until you can handle it and pull it by hand.  I made the mistake of putting the pork back in after shredding it and let me tell you I was crying by the end of the sandwich!
I did try it before I put it back in and was so excited.  I just forgot how spicy the whole peppers are.  I even shredded my onion so it would mix better with the shredded pork.  Still good and recommended for those of you that love spicy foods.  In fact that's how I plan to do it for myself every time! 

the above is the link to the recipe I found

1 tablespoon of honey
1/2 teaspoons of celery seeds
1 heaping tablespoon dijon mustard
tabasco to taste
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup olive oil
1 clove of chopped garlic
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 apple peeled, cored, and chopped roughly
1 or two more apples julienned
salt and black pepper to taste
a bag of your favorite coleslaw mix or make your own


I can not tell you how to make the dressing without plagiarizing the recipe.  It is pretty precise.  So you need to click on the link above, just click the purple Apple Coleslaw tittle and it will take you to the recipe.  I did however julienne some apple and add it to the coleslaw mix!

The combination of the two was stellar!  It was sweet, sour, and spicy! The flavor was intense after pulling the shredded pork out of the sauce.  The apple of course was the perfect compliment and one of my new favorites!   I hope you all give it a try. 

What is your favorite slow cooker recipe??




No comments:

Post a Comment