Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Veal Osso Bucco


Veal Osso Bucco! This is now one of my favorite meals to date.  The recipe is not quite original I'm sure but I did my own take on this classic. The marrow in the bone turns to jelly and infuses the sauce. The dish is rich and wonderful and leaves plenty of room to play around with. The classic mirepoix which is the combination of garlic, carrots, celery, and onion is awesome and lends to a great flavor and absorbs the seasoning well.

Here is what I used:
veal shank
carrots
onion
garlic
celery
rosemary
thyme
sea salt
black pepper
white wine
beef stock
flour
oil for browning

 I started by seasoning the veal with salt and pepper. Then I dredged the veal and browned it to help seal in the flavor. Use the same pan to saute your mirepoix. I then placed the veal into a deep pan and added white wine to about half way to the top of the veal and added my mirepoix and reduced the wine by half. When that is done add the beef stock to about two thirds the way up the veal and add  your thyme and rosemary and braised it for about two hours.


I served it on top of my Tabasco Garlic Mashed Potatoes to add a bit of spice and it worked wonderfully!  This is relatively easy to make and the marrow is an experience that every foodie needs to have. It is rich and absorbs the flavor of all the spices. It may be a bit strange to most of the people I talked to but it worth a try! Classic flavors come together for a masterful dish that is tender and explodes with flavor. The braising makes it unbelievably tender and melts in you mouth like a well cooked prime rib.
This is a must try!
Love Food, Live Life!


3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. Yabasco mashed potatoes, now that's one I haven't heard of before. I bet that gives it a real kick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The potatoes are a favorite of mine! I love spicy foods and try to get a lil' kick from at least one portion of each meal :)

    ReplyDelete