Sunday, July 31, 2011

Market to Menu Monday! week 9: featuring Duck with Cherry & Red Wine Sauce!

Cherries are in season! I did not make it to the Farmers Market this week but I wanted to something with cherries which I have not seen in the Farmers Market. Tis the season for cherries and that is the whole point of this series anyway. Keep it fresh and seasonal.



I got a hold of a nice duck breast from United Market Street. I thought a red wine cherry sauce would go perfect with it so I went for it.

Here is what you need:
A duck breast
red zinfandel about a cup
a cup of cherries pitted and sliced
two table spoons of sugar
one tablespoon brown sugar
salt
pepper
allspice
 1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch

I seasoned the duck with salt and pepper and cooked it for five minutes skin side down and covered over medium low heat. I flipped it and cooked another five minutes and repeated until it reached an internal temperature of 165.


For the sauce I brought the wine to a boil then added my cherries, sugars, and reduced to a simmer and let it cook down until the cherries were soft. I then dissolved the corn starch and added to the sauce to thicken.


I served it with a roasted honey sweet onion with garlic and creole seasoning. I also served baby carrots with thyme and rosemary.


 The duck as awesome and the wine sauce paired well with it. The sauce had a nice cherry punch to it and was not overly sweet. For my first attempt at cooking duck I was happy. It was not dry and the flavor was better than I thought. I like the slight gamy flavor and the sauce rounded it out nicely!
What did you get from the market this week?

Love Food, Live Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment