Sunday, July 3, 2011

Market to Menu Monday! Week 5, featuring Fresh Fruit Burritos! & Home Made Custard!


This week I got my hands on some farm fresh fruit. I found some blackberries, peaches, and strawberries!  I knew right away what I was going to make.  I had been watching Take Home Chef and Tyler Stone made some apple pastry's using fillo dough.  I wanted to create a similar dish.  In the spirit of fun I decided to make them burritos, topped with vanilla custard, and saved some of the fruit filler to make it look like sour cream and salsa!  I think I pulled it  off, what do you think?

Fresh Fruit Burritos

Here is what you need:

4 or five peaches
1 pound strawberries
1 pound black berries
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon white sugar
8 tablespoons butter


I diced the peaches, and sliced the strawberries.  I left the blackberries whole.  Put 2 tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan and melt it down, add the brown and white sugar and allow it to melt.  Then add your peaches and strawberries and saute until just under done. 











 


Now this is tricky part.  Fillo dough is paper thin and very fragile.  You really should butter each layer and use at least five to six layers.  I buttered only two layers in the spirit of my own health.  You can get crazy and sprinkle confectioners sugar in as well, but my aim was a mildly sweet dessert.  Roll into burritos adding some black berries.  Be sure to save some fruit for garnish!  Bake at 400 until golden brown.  Or follow the directions on your fillo dough packaging we sauteed the fruit so all you need to do is brown the dough.

above is the link to the recipe I used

Here is what you'll need:

2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 tablespoons cornstarch
4 egg yolks
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups milk

Add the sugar, salt, egg yolks, milk, and sugar to a pot and bring to a slow boil.  YOU MUST STIR IT THE WHOLE TIME!  If you do not the milk will burn.  When it is thickened stir in melted butter and vanilla.  Pour it into a container and cover with clear film to keep the air from forming a skin on top of the custard.  It need a couple of hours to chill and set.














Plate the burritos and top with custard and some of the excess fruit and serve.  This dish is good hot or cold!  I prefer hot but my Mom liked it cold.  It was not overly sweet and the fillo dough is nice and flaky.  I really enjoyed making them and look forward to making them again soon!


What did you get from the Market this week?

LOOK WHO JOINED THE PARTY!
Chef Kevin Smith

Love Food, Live Life!

Bloggers! It's a link party/blog hop! want to join and post your own Market to Menu Monday!?  Check out the Market to Menu Monday! page for details.  Get out, Get Fresh, Get Cooking, Get Blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment