Sunday, June 26, 2011

Market to Menu Monday! Week 4! a blogger link party in the making, Featuring Vegan Fire Roasted Tomato Corn Chowder

I found the most beautiful tomatoes this week at the Farmers Market and knew right away what I was going to make.  A friend on my Facebook Group: Wichita Falls Foodies started a conversation about tomato chowder.  I was interested instantly!  I love jalapeno corn chowder and never thought to do a tomato chowder.  I poured through my "Flavor Bible" and came up with a good recipe.  I follow a lot of bloggers that are vegetarian so I wanted to make it a vegetarian dish.  This was also something that tested me, I love meat!  Sorry veggies, but I dedicate this one to all of you!

Vegan Fire Roasted Tomato Corn Chowder

Here is what you need:
six large tomatoes
1 large onion diced to desired thickness
2 medium leeks cut in half then into 1 inch strips
fresh basil to taste
2 or more corncobs
some olive oil to grill tomatoes
salt and pepper for grilling tomatoes
1 tablespoon of salt for soup
1 tablespoon of pepper for soup
1 cup vegetable stock
1 1/2 cups soy milk or something similar
4 tablespoons corn starch dissolved in water


I had some veggies I was going to have to throw out so I made my own vegetable stock!  I made the house smell so goooooood!


Cut your tomatoes in half and coat with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Place on the BBQ with your corn to get them nice and roasted.  Watch the tomatoes closely.  They will fall apart if over cooked!

When they are done you need to peel the tomatoes and remove the corn from the cob.


Once that is done use a food processor on the tomatoes and add them to a large pot.  Add 1 tablespoon each of salt and pepper.  Add your corn starch, onion, basil, and leeks.  Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours. 

 
About an hour and a half into the simmer add the corn.  This will help it stay firm and give the chowder some texture.  Add the soy milk and be sure not to over heat.

 





That is it your done!  It was so good.  The freshness of all the ingredients could be tasted and was intense.  The pepper made it slightly spicy, the leeks and onions pair well with the tomato and basil so it had a great flavor profile.  The corn gave it a nice texture and the fire roasting of the tomatoes and corn gave it a smokey flavor that was unbelievable.  I had to make a grill cheese to go with it!  I used pepper jack cheese and some jalapeno.  A classic combo!

What did you get from the market this week???


Love Food, Live Life!

Bloggers Join the party! Check out the Market to Menu Mondays! page for details!
Get out, Get fresh, Get cooking, Get blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment