Monday, June 20, 2011

Market to Menu Monday! Week 3 a blogger link party in the making!

BLOG TITLE


















Man did I score big this week at the Farmers Market!  I got fresh lettuce, 3 kinds that were grown hydroponically!  I scored fresh cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, cherry tomato, onion, and basil!  I admit I was a little overwhelmed at first.  I had no clue what I was going to do with it all.  Then on my Wichita Falls Foodies group on Facebook started a great conversation about tomato chowder.  I knew right then what I was going to do! Cream of Cauliflower soup!  Of course I would do a mixed green salad to accompany it.  But it was not until I had did my research on flavor pairings for the soup that it hit me.  Stuffed cabbage!  I went to United Market Street, a local super market that sells local meat at their butcher counter.  I was informed the beef I bought was organic, free range, and grass fed.  That is becoming more important to me as I am discovering how much genetic engineering is going on.  Cattle are not designed to eat corn, which is what they raised on mostly now days.  We designed the cow to fit our needs!

O.k. enough of that.  Lets get to cooking all these fabulous ingredients!


Cream of Broccoli and Cauliflower with Shallot Soup

Here is what you need:

1/2 head of broccoli
1/2 head cauliflower
1 medium size shallot
3 chicken bullion cubes
3 cups water
1 cup cream
2 garlic clove
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup parmesan cheese

First coarsely chop the cauliflower, broccoli, shallot, and garlic. Set some broccoli and cauliflower aside for garnish.  Boil the cauliflower and broccoli then set aside to cool.  Save 3 cups of this water to make the soup.  Puree the broccoli, cauliflower, shallot and garlic in food processor.  Add the remaining ingredients to the water then add your puree and cheese.  Simmer for about and hour stirring often.  That is it the soup is done!

Stuffed Cabbage

Here is what you'll need:

1 cabbage leaf per serving, 2 if it is a small cabbage
1 pound ground beef
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
1 can rotell
1 large carrot grated
1 onion grated

Get the water going so you can steam your cabbage.  You can also microwave it if you are in a crunch.  The goal is to get is soft so you can fold it without it tearing.  Brown your beef, then add the rotell.  Drain, then season your beef.  I find you get more flavor this way, why pour half your seasoning it to your grease bin????  Stuff and fold the cabbage.  I topped mine with store bought salsa because I did not plan ahead :(  It turned out really good though.


For the salad I made a tomato basil balsamic dressing and used the cherry tomatoes!  It was really good.  I used :

1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
lots of cherry tomato
a good portion of basil
garlic powder to taste
a touch of salt and sugar to taste


I blended it all in a food processor and had to adjust it to fit my taste.  I have said it before and will say it again.  It is a recipe not a code of law.  I love very zesty food.  You may not.

Over all this meal was awesome.  The soup was unbelievable.  You could taste all the ingredients, nothing over powered the dish.  The Stuffed cabbage was spicy, just the way I like.  The salad was almost my favorite part.  The lettuce was so flavorful and the cherry tomatoes were the best I have ever eaten.  The dressing was good and fresh which is what was so attractive.  This was the most fun I have had yet with Market to menu Monday!

What did you get this week?
Love Food, Live Life!
Check out who's joined the party!
Chef Kevin Smith!

Bloggers!!!! I am trying to start a link party. I call it Market to Menu Monday! The idea is inspired by Peas and Crayons (What I Ate Wednesday). The concept is simple enough. We all go to the market buy and cook fresh at least one day a week. Farmers Market, Super Market, dose not matter. Go to the butcher counter and by fresh meat. You do not need to do a full post with a recipe but if you can that is great! The hope is to point each others followers to each others pages and we can all grow together! email me at cjitsu6@gmail.com
with a link to your post and lets do this!!!!
To participate you need to add this button to your post!!! That is really the only rule! Have a button to share?
Let me know and I'll add to my page too!
Grab a Button!


BLOG TITLE 

No comments:

Post a Comment