Saturday, June 4, 2011

Italian Farm House Medely with Dijon Mustard Sauce


Have you heard of The Flavor Bible?  I heard about through some discussions on Twitter and other sites as the constant debate of Food Bloggers and taking undue credit rages on.  The main issue is a blogger changing the recipe ever so slightly and taking credit for the full recipe.  I REVIEW recipes, and always provide a link to where I found it.  I fully agree that the credit for the recipe is not mine.  I just want to show the world that cooking is only as difficult as you make it. 

That being said it was only a natural progression to start my own original recipes.  I, unlike most also realize that it is near impossible to be 100% original.  With so many people in the world it has more than likely been done before.  So using the flavor bible I have been scouring it page by page, ingredient by ingredient on a mission to get some original as they can be recipes under my belt. 

I did as much research as possible and it seems this one may be original.  I call it my:

 Hearty Italian Farm House Medley with Dijon Mustard Sauce

Here is what you'll need:

1 pound baby potatoes
1 sweet onion diced
1  granny smith apple diced
1/2 head of radicchio
4 spicy Italian sausage links
fresh thyme to taste


for the sauce:

2/8 cups Dijon mustard
4 table spoons ketchup
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon red pepper flake
2 teaspoon soy sauce
2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
garlic powder to taste

Add all the sauce ingredients to a small mixing bowl and whisk away!  Make the sauce at least a half hour ahead of time to let the flavors settle. 

Cut your potatoes into quarters. Par-boil your potatoes.  At the same time cook the sausage.  I browned it then added water to the pan and finished it off.  When the potatoes are just under done add them to a deep pan or dutch oven.  Slice your sausage and add it to the potatoes along with the apple, onion, and thyme.  Saute them for about ten minutes on moderate heat.  When you are just about to pull the medley from the heat add the radicchio and sauce.

This step is important to me.  The sauce's flavor mellows out under heat but can still be over powering.  You want to add just enough to compliment the dish but not drench it.

I thought this dish was awesome.  You get a medley of flavors that all play well with each other.  It is hearty as the name implores, you get all your veggies, fruit, and protein all in one dish.  The combination of the mustard and apples seems like it is strange but the tartness of both go very well together.  Apples and sausage are a classic combo and the starchiness of the potatoes mellows the whole thing out.

Please give it a try and let me know what you think!!!!

Love Food, Live Life!






3 comments:

  1. oh yum! I love that its a dijon sauce! I allllways have dijon mustard on hand! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx a million!!!! Your blog looks like it is blowing up!!!! congrats on all your hard work paying off! Love Food, Live Life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice! By the way where did you get that picture?


    Have a look at my web page ... luke bryan live concert; ,

    ReplyDelete