Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Balsamic Chicken Kabobs with PLUM!

In my ventures to the market I always do my best to avoid impulse buying.  But those darn marketers are so good at what they do!  All those little goodies just calling your name..."Hey C.J.! Over here! LOOK at me! I'm a Southern Living BBQ cookbook! You know you want me!"

And so I bought it :-)  It is awesome!  It has 72 recipe cards from main dishes to beverages.  If you see one I recommend grabbing it.  It has classic recipes and some very interesting ones. In my current culinary quest I have been incorporating a lot of fruit into my cooking.  As I browsed through the book looking for the first recipe I would try, this one fit my profile!

the link above is the southern living website














Here is what you need:

8 (12) inch skewers
1 1/2 pound skinless chicken breast diced into 1 1/2 inch pieces
2 medium red onions
4 large plums cut into quarters
2 medium green tomatoes
2 teaspoon season salt
2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup molasses














O.K. so don't learn the hard way like I did a few years back.  You need to soak wooden skewers!  If you don't they tend to catch fire!  Imagine that!  Wood catching fire!  So make sure you soak them for at least a half hour.  Meanwhile start prepping the veggies, plums, and chicken.  I started firing up my grill at this point.  I do not use traditional charcoal, I use mesquite charcoal, actual burnt pieces of wood.  All natural baby!!  Now thread the veggies, plum, and chicken onto the skewers.  I put all the seasoning in the sauce and it turned out great but they sprinkled it onto the chicken.  Which ever you decide to do now would be the time to do it.  Get grilling!  They cook rather quickly.  Be sure you add the sauce at the end of the grilling process so that it dose not burn.

They were amazing!  The sweet/zesty flavor profile was awesome.  The onion soaked up the flavor of the plum and the sauce and played well with the tomato.  I could not get my hands on green tomato but red worked just fine.  The plum was tart, I think the acidity of the vinegar brought out the tartness, but that is half of what made the dish so tasty.  You get sweet, zest, and tart!  If you manage to get it all in one bite it is an astonishing experience!

They are a quick and easy way to impress people for your next BBQ!  What are some of your favorite BBQ dishes?





  




 





Love Food, Live Life!


No comments:

Post a Comment