Friday, June 17, 2011

2011: A Foodie Odyssey part 11: Mongolia! featuring Sweet and Sour Apricot Lamb Chops!

Mongolia! At one time Mongolia was the largest empire the world had ever seen.  Traditionally and many still to this day have returned to their nomadic ways.  Food plays a major part in a nomads life.  You follow your food to live.  You follow the seasons to harvest.  All without farming.

Soldiers used to stoke up a fire, harvest what ever was around and cook on their shields!  Passion for cooking is a human trait.  I heard a great saying "Animals eat, People dine."  That spoke to me. The connections you make through food may not register to the average person but it is there.  Imagine being a Mongol warrior knowing that tomorrow you are riding into battle.  The person to your left and right may very well die.  The chances of your death were just as prevalent.  Knowing this could be your last meal must have made every one special.  The men who prepared those meals did so with religious passion.

The food is the most unique I have encountered and had trouble finding a dish I could prepare.  I stumbled across this Lamb Chop recipe and had to try it.  I am almost positive that this is not traditional, but here we go!

the above link is where I found the recipe

Here is what you need:

4 lamb chops about 4 ounces each
2 teaspoons teriyaki sauce
1/2 cup white wine
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cups apricot preserves

This is complicated so pay close attention.  In a mixing bowl all your ingredients except the lamb and whisk until smooth. Pour into a sauce pan and reduce over medium heat until nice and thick. Be careful not to burn it!  Broil the chops for about three minutes on each side.  Coat the chops after cooking and you are done!  See complicated! NOT!

This is a simple easy and quick dish.  Now I am not a fan of sweet and sour but this was good.  It may be the fact that I prepared it and knew exactly what I was eating.  I garnished the plate with some fresh mint that I had left over and it added a great layer of flavor.  You could use the sauce to coat chicken wings for awesome sweet and sour wings! The limit to it's application is only limited to your imagination.  So get in the kitchen and whip something tasty! And let me know how it turns out!

Nepal is the next stop on our journey!  Thank to all those who have stuck with me and voted!  Don't forget to vote at the top of the page for next week!

Love Food, Live Life!













No comments:

Post a Comment