Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Pride of Texas Carnival

The pride of Texas Carnival was in town a week or so ago!  Now growing up in very rural areas for the greater part of my childhood I became fond of carnivals.  There was no chance of making it to a theme park from New Pine Creek Oregon!  So needless to say it was an alternative, not comparable but an alternative none the less.

As an adrenaline junkie I enjoy roller coasters and the like but I am getting to old for carnival rides.  They just spin in every direction possible and I get nauseous just watching them.  In fact the fist thing I saw as I was walking up was some poor kid puking his guts out over a trash can!  Ahhhh the memories of the trash cans I've leaned over, though those where mainly in Tijuana but that is a story for some other time!

I LOVE street food.  I wonder why in the western half of America it is not so popular?  I enjoyed going Mexico and eating at the taco stands.  They had the best bacon wrapped hot dogs at some of the stands.  When I visited Guadalajara we ate at the street food stands as often as at the house if not more.  Who doesn't have a favorite "Fair" food?  You know when the County Fair rolls into town one of your first thoughts is about that fried something or other you crave all year!

Well I headed out to The Pride of Texas Carnival to see what street grub I could muster up.  It was smaller than I had anticipated.  It was held in the parking lot of The MPEC, the local event center.  It did have my favorite ride though, "The Zipper".

I made my way through the carnival checking all the vendor's for the most unique item I could find.  It was and easy search.  All but one of the vendors,"The Big Easy", sold hot dogs, corn dogs, french fries, and popcorn.  The Big Easy offered a New Orleans Dog.  It was a sausage with grilled onions and peppers with Tony Chachere's creole seasoning, bacon bits, and mustard.  It was delicious!  It was spicy and a refreshing take on one of my favorite street foods.  I tend to like my food spicy so I was very pleased.

My Mom had just a plain New Orleans Dog.  Boring.  She said she wasn't feeling well.  Well that did not stop her from trying my funnel cake more than once!  The funnel cake is a fair/carnival staple.  It was also long overdue for me to have one!

I had a good time and it was cheap at 20$ for a day pass for all the rides.  Next time they roll into town make sure to hit them up for a good family outing.  And don't forget to stop by The Big Easy for a good dog!

Love Food, Live Life!
 







2 comments:

  1. Great Blog Cj, I had to google New Pine Creek, and found out it's roughly close to where I'm moving...in Oregon. Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx so much! I am jealous! I always wanted to retire in the Bishop/Mammoth area of California or Oregon! What part of Oregon are you moving to???

    ReplyDelete