Monday, May 9, 2011

Alabama White Sauce Grilled Chicken

The call has been heard and the itch has been felt.  I have set out to add more original recipes to my repertoire.  The creative bug has got me good!  Endless combinations of flavors and techniques to choose from and at my disposal.  It will be a learning process to be sure.

My first original was the Spring Spinach Salad.  That one was fun and prefect for the weather we have been having here in Wichita Falls.  Keeping with the seasonal theme, I wanted to do some grilled chicken.  I knew right away the recipe I was going to use.  My Aunt Janet used to make the best grilled chicken with an Alabama White Sauce.  I found some chipotle mayonnaise so I did two versions of the sauce.  I am aware that this is not "Original", I am sure it has been done before.  For me it is a Family recipe I adapted to my own taste. 

serve's about eight
Here's What You'll Need:

1 cup mayonnaise
2/3 cups apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons salt
2teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablesoons onion soup mix

OR:

1 cup chipotle mayonnaise
2/3 cups apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Tony Chachere's creole seasoning
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons onion soup mix

Just add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix.  Let set for a couple hours if you have the time.  Get your chicken grilling and apply sauce at the end.  I grilled some corn with mine.  Just put the cob on the grill, it adds that smoky flavor that I love.  I also use Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning on my corn instead of salt and pepper.

I thought it was going to be a nice day to grill but a storm rolled in...
I was not going to give up though.  I had been daydreaming about this all day long.  

 The storm pressed on, but so did I!  The rain began to fall heavily, beating a steady rythm on the ground.  Lightning flashed and thunder crashed!  Hail began to pummel me just when I thought the worst had passed.  The sun had peeked through the clouds leading me to believe it would soon be over.  No!  The sun had merely peeked through the curtain of clouds for some comic relief!


 When all was said and done, I was victorious!  I had a great meal.  The Alabama Sauce is tangy but the act of cooking it mellows the vinegar.  The chipotle version was my favorite, as I am fond of spicy foods.  If you are looking for something new to try this grilling season, give it a try.  It was a family favorite when I was growing up and am happy to share it with you.  If you try it let me know what you think.  Until next time...

Love Food, Live Life!

 
















2 comments:

  1. Please tell me you didn't eat ALL of that at once :P

    ReplyDelete