Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Spring Spinach Salad with Spicy Strawberry and Blueberry Dressing!

I have had lots of requests to post an original recipe.  Seems fair enough.  I do love cooking and reviewing other peoples recipes though.  I don't have a lot of recipes up my sleeve.  That is why I review recipes in the first place.  Secondly I like to cook what looks and sounds difficult to show you that it really is not all that hard.  But along the way it was bound to happen.  My first original recipe post!

It is getting very hot hear in Texas and spring is in the air.  Fresh fruit of all kinds are appearing in the produce sections of our favorite markets.  This demanded a dish for the season!  I threw this salad together in honour of the season.  I call it Spring Spinach Salad.  I also made a spice Strawberry and Blueberry Dressing.

What You'll Need:

32 oz fresh strawberries
6 oz fresh blueberries
raspberry infused red wine vinegar
Tabasco
 1 tablespoon olive oil
fresh spinach
1 small carrot
2 or more slices of a granny smith apple

serves four

Dice all the strawberries and place half in a blender or food processor (Save at least 4 strawberries to garnish!).  Add most of your blueberries to blender saving enough to garnish the the salad.  Add a few splashes of the vinegar and blend.  Add Tabasco and oil and continue to liquefy.  Taste and add  Tabasco, vinegar, or sugar if desired.





Dice the carrot and apple.  Mix spinach and remaining strawberries. Portion the salad into bowls and add carrot, apple mix to center of the salad.  Garnish with whole strawberries and blueberries and drizzle with dressing.

 
 Needless to say this salad was refreshing.  The use of fresh ingredients lends to a flavor that just cant be matched.  The sweetness of the berries is tamed by the flare of the Tabasco.  The Tabasco works well with the raspberry red wine vinegar, as Tabasco has a vinegar bite.  The carrots are sweet and the apple is sour giving each bite a nice textural crunch and layer of flavors.

This was fun!  I hope you try it and let me know what you think!

What is your favorite salad??????

1 comment:

  1. That looks so delicious! I'll bring some to my friend locksmith in Wichita the next time I come over.

    ReplyDelete