Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Grilled Mango Jerk Chicken!


This was going to be my first grilling post of the BBQ season, an homage to the king of grilling Bobby Flay.  But it was fail from the start.  I did not read the recipe properly and messed it up.  It was not a complete culinary failure though.  In fact it was very tasty and a new take on his dish.  I made the mistake of blending the mango into the marinade!  I did not have enough to make the salsa, and I think it may have been a bit much if I had the salsa with this take on the dish.  The actual recipe is under the link above.  Here is what I did...

Here's What You'll Need:

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 onion chopped roughly
2 scallions chopped
1 large habanero pepper seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
3 cloves fresh garlic
1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pinch ground cloves
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lime juice
2 mango's diced
4-8 drumstick's skin on, or 4 drumstick's and 4 thighs!

I blended all the ingredients, don't be intimidated by the size of the list!  Then placed the chicken in a baking dish and poured the marinade over it and let it sit overnight. 


The following day I headed out to the grill and fired her up.  Man I love to grill! There was a time when all I had was a small hot plate and an out door gill (an old dryer tub) with a refrigerator shelf as my grill!  I did not eat unless it was grilled!


Next I heated up the remaining marinade and brushed the chicken as it cooked.  Be sure to cook the marinade thoroughly as it was in contact with raw chicken!  Trust me Salmonella is not something you want!

That is that! Done!  Not what I set out for it to be originally but it was very tasty.

It was sweet, it kind of reminded me of a pie.  Then the habanero kicks you in the throat and makes the dish come together and down to earth.  It was surprising how good this was and how simple it really is.  The list of ingredients looks daunting but it is all just thrown in the blender and blitzed until it is almost smooth.  If you are looking for something new and bold to grill give it a go!  Though I would not top it with the marinade when you plate it, that was just to much.  I just mad some good old mac and cheese to go with it.  I was craving mac and cheese for weeks!

What is your favorite food to grill?

No comments:

Post a Comment