Thursday, March 3, 2011

2011: A Foodie Odyssey part 6, Switzerland: Rippli & Apfelkuchlein


We visit Switzerland this time around on 2011: A Foodie Odyssey!  I was secretly hoping that it would win the poll.  I LOVE to snowboard and it was an obsession and a major influence in my life for many years.  This lead to dreams of one day making a trip to the Alps and their famed snow.  And of course being a foodie those dreams also included the food as well!

Most normal people I would venture to guess what food they associate Switzerland with it would be cheese.  They are the masters of fondue.  Though not as popular now as it once was in America it has shifted now to a more gourmet style and feel.  There are 26 cantons that make up the Swiss Confederation, so it stands to reason that there must be more to the Swiss culinary scene than fondue or chocolate.

I chose a recipe from Bern, a western canton and the fourth largest populated area of Switzerland.
Rippli is translated to ribs of pork, and when I saw this recipe I knew right away it was one I wanted to try.  I chose to do a desert to challenge myself some more in the kitchen.  Needless to say when I saw the Apfelkuchlein it was the one, I love apples and love to cook with them!

Here's What You'll Need:

1 tablespoon margarine
.22 pounds of  bacon cut into small pieces
2 onions chopped
2 cloves of garlic crushed
.66 pounds of cabbage cut into strips
.44 pounds of celery sliced
.55 pounds of carrots sliced
1 pound of potatoes sliced
black pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme or 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme
1.76 pounds of pork loin ribs (smoked)
3.4 fl. ounces of white wine
1/4 teaspoon chicken or pork bullion
4 tomatoes peeled and sliced ( I cheated and used caned fire roasted tomatoes for some BANG!)

I could not find pre-smoked ribs so I did it myself.  I parboiled the ribs and took them to the grill.  I use all natural hickory charcoal and just soak a few pieces in some water and it smokes like mad!


After smoking my ribs I went to the next step.  Melt the margarine and add bacon, onion, and garlic and cook until the onion is just about tender.
 

Add your cabbage, carrots, and celery.  Add a splash of water and cover to let steam until the veggies are tender.

Add the remaining ingredients (including the ribs) except the tomatoes and let simmer on low for an hour.  Add the tomatoes and cook for ten more minutes and then your ready to plate and serve!


Here's What You'll Need:

4 or 5 sour apples
4 ounces white flour
1.4 ounces ground hazelnut (which I was not able to find)
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons of sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla
5 fl. ounces apple cider
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites (make sure you separate the yolks and whites!)
1 teaspoon oil
lemon juice
oil for frying
powder sugar and cinnamon to taste

Add flour, salt, one tablespoon sugar, vanilla, and hazelnuts and mix thoroughly.  Add the apple cider and mix. Add the egg yolks and oil and mix once again!  Let dough stand for at least 30 minutes.  Add a pinch of salt to egg whites and whip.  Fold into dough and get working on the apples.


Add 3 tablespoons of sugar to a bowl with lemon juice.  Peel, core, and slice apples into rings one at a time and dredge trough the lemon sugar mix.  This will add flavor and keep apples from turning brown.  Let the apples rest for 30 minute or so and get ready to cook them up. 
Heat oil for frying and work on one Apfelkuchlein at a time.  Coat each piece and fry until golden brown.  Drain the oil and let rest for a minute then top with powder sugar mix.  Do not put powder sugar on to soon or it will dissolve and you will lose the color.  Best served warm but cold is not bad either.
I have to admit this was not so simple but the payoff is well worth the work.  I loved it!  Leave the bone on the ribs to add flavor to the Rippli!  My mom thought I was nuts at first then I just reminded her of her greens and the ham bone she used to flavor them.  It was an awesome combination of flavors and if the cabbage is a turnoff don't worry.  It absorbs the flavors of everything else and is just a filler.  You could easily make your own version, if you do let me know how it turns out for you.

The Apfelkuchlein is amazing!  It's like an apple filled doughnut.  An easy one to make but kind of time consuming and messy.  It is one I plan to make for one of our employee parties at work or just for kicks as everyone is asking me to bring in some food!

France is next on our list for 2011: A Foodie Odyssey!  I was again secretly hoping it would win.  France is a culinary Mecha is it not?  Don't forget to vote for next weeks at the top of the page before you leave!

Love Food, Live Life!






1 comment:

  1. OoOh! those apples look like donuts! hollerrr!

    I want to see food froooom..... india! my latest obsession! Though I did have some amazing eats in Norway... oof i'd love to go back there and blog and eat and blog and eat! hehe

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete