Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding!

If you couldn't tell by my previous posts I love to try foreign recipes.  As a big fan of the BBC I am always seeing Yorkshire Pudding on all their cooking shows.  And of course my boy Ramsay is known for his Yorkshire Pudding.  Now if your only experience with Yorkshire Pudding is like mine, from the comfort of my couch wishing there was "Smell-a-Vision" or even better "Tate-a-Vision", then you have the same question I do.  It looks like a muffin!  Pudding is creamy sweet and served as a desert!  Bread pudding as I know it is still similar.  Sweet, made with cream and sugar.  It was time to try it.  It was time to make my own and see what was up.  And I'm glad I did because it is super easy.

As I have a habit of doing I needed to educate myself on the history of the pudding.  Boy did I learn something.  Pudding is many different things to many different people.  Puddings cover a wide range of foods with one common thread.  They all require dairy products.  Puddings can be sweet as most Americans know them, or savory, and can be made from anything form blood to rice to cheese.  As this blog progresses I am learning more and more about food that I thought I already knew.  There is a whole world of food yet to be discovered for me, and I'm up for the adventure!

Yorkshire Pudding falls into the savory pudding category.  It is a bread type pudding with a crispy outer layer and a delicate and moist center.  Not big on flavor it is often topped with a gravy of some sort.  I decided to make a cheaters stew and bought a pre-packed stew kit with fresh potatoes, carrots, onion, and chopped beef.  It has been very busy at work and I have been putting in a lot of hours so this worked out for me, and as a bachelor I feel I should let all you other guy's out there know that it is super easy to cook and a sure fire way to impress a girl is to cook for her.  You put your stew ingredients in a slow cooker and turn it on. Done.  Just go to work and let it do it's thing.


Now for the impressive part.  The Yorkshire Pudding.  You will look like a gourmet chef and have her asking what your cooking tomorrow! 

Here's What You'll Need:

4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
4 tablespoons vegetable oil

In a blender combine eggs, milk, flour, and salt. Blend well and place in the refrigerator and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Place one teaspoon of oil into each portion of your 12 hole muffin tray and put on top shelf of oven.   Allow to heat until the verge of smoking.  As soon as you pull the tray from oven fill each section 3/4 full of Yorkshire Pudding mix, if it dose not sizzle it is not hot enough!  This is a key step, this will allow for the crispy outer layer and allow the center to stay soft and smooth.  Place back into oven immediately and allow to bake for 15 to 20 minutes.  DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR WHILE PUDDING IS BAKING!  You run the risk of collapsing the puddings.  The pudding should rise quite a bit.

So easy with a great pay off.  And as a bachelor I had enough food for three days!  As much as I enjoy cooking, I enjoy the leftovers!  And you don't have to use all of your Yorkshire Pudding mix.  It will keep for around three days.  As a rule of thumb no cooked or prepared food stays in my fridge more than three days.  I'm big on food safety at work as well as home! 
I hope you get to try the Pudding and enjoy it as much as I did.  By the way I suck at making gravy anyone have any good gravy recipes or tips?  I would greatly appreciate the help!

Love Food, Live Life!

Proud member of FoodBlogs



Wichita Falls Foodie Wichita Falls restaurantsAll recipes are on Petitchef

1 comment:

  1. This looks wonderful! Not only have a I never made Yorkshire pudding, but I've never tried it either. You're right--it looks just like muffins. Glad you enjoyed your new treat!

    ReplyDelete