Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Roasted Chicken & Grapes with Shallots













I was snooping around the Internet looking for recipes to try when I stumbled on this one. I found it on Epicurious.com.  This is the kind of recipe you can make in a hurry as far as prep time, depending on how much chicken your roasting the baking time can be over an hour and a half.  I used three legs and my baking time was 45 minutes.

The final product not only looked like a five star meal on the plate, it tasted like one too.  The chicken actually absorbs the flavors of the grapes as the release their juices.  The sweet and sour combination of the grapes had me wondering how well the Thyme would play in but it was an unexpected medley of flavors that worked well together.  Basically a low cal dish as well!  Don't over due the olive oil and your in the clear.


Here's What You'll Need:

2 bunches of grapes, assorted colors if possible
6 large shallots
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, plus some extra whole sprigs
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 to 41/2 pounds of chicken, a whole chicken would look amazing
salt and pepper to taste


Get your oven preheated to 400 degrees.  Cut grapes into small clusters, be gentle.  Or if you prefer you may remove them from the stems entirely.  Toss the grapes, 1/2 the olive oil, thyme, salt, pepper, and shallots in a mixing bowl.  Rubdown chicken with remaining olive oil and season to taste.  Place the chicken, with whole thyme sprigs as a garnish, in roasting pan surrounding liberally with the grape and shallot mixture.  Put the chicken on the center rack in oven and bake for about an hour and a half, or until the internal temperature of your chicken is 165 degrees and the grapes are beginning to shrivel.  Plate and top with excess juices.

This was also my first experience with shallots.  They are delicious.  Sweet like a purple onion but with a unique flavor.  I can't wait to cook with them again!  I hope you get to try this one, it's worth the small effort if you get the time.  If you do try it let me know what you think!


2011: A Foodie Odyssey update
The Polls are in, the recipe was chosen, cooked, filmed, and photographed!
The winning Country was Morocco.  I chose to do a Moroccan Chicken recipe and a Moroccan Cucumber and Roasted Pepper Salad.  It all turned out wonderful! The Post will be up by Thursday or Friday.  Don't forget to place your vote at the top of this page to see where I travel to right from my kitchen next week!

LOVE FOOD, LIVE LIFE!

Wichita Falls Foodie Wichita Falls restaurants
All recipes are on PetitchefProud member of FoodBlogs


1 comment:

  1. I would never think to cook chicken with grapes. Although, I love grapes in my chicken salad, so I'm sure it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete