Monday, January 31, 2011

Roast Pork Chops & Warm Red Cabbage with Apple Salad & Deep Fried Courgette: A tribute to Gordon Ramsay part 3 of 3

Well this is it, part 3 of 3 of my tribute to Gordon Ramsay.  I have had a lot of fun with my new Ramsay cookware.  If a Porsche was cookware I think this would be it's incarnation!

     This is actually the first recipe of Gordon Ramsay's I had ever cooked.  I was living in Pahrump Nevada and my roommates were out of town.  I had just seen this recipe on F Word so I gave it a try.  Again I want to stress to you how easy it is to cook, it just sounds difficult.  The hardest part is frying your courgette, and if you have ever deep fried anything then you are set to go.

     The Warm Cabbage and Apple salad was modified due to lack of radicchio in Wichita Falls.  I also used a thin cut pork steak.  It is equally good either way, though I feel the thin cut absorbed more flavor.  Then again it has been a year or two between tastings. 

     I have enjoyed all that I have been learning lately about cooking.  It has always been a passion of mine and the fact that I can share my culinary adventures with you is great.  I hope the one thing you take away with you when you read one of my posts is that cooking like a five star chef at home dose not need to be that difficult.  Take a chance one night and try something you thought you could never pull off in the kitchen.  Just take some time to plan out your meal and cooking methods and let her rip!  Why not start with this post?
    
Deep Fried Courgettes

Here's What You Need:

3 medium courgettes, cut into batons
80 grams of self-rising flour
sea salt
1 egg yolk
2 egg whites
150 ml of cold water

I have been having trouble finding a metric converter so I eyeballed the batter and it turned out fine for me.  Pour your flour into a mixing bowl and form a well in the center.  Add your eggs and slowly beat in the water to the batter.  Heat enough oil to cover half the courgette batons for frying.  Once fried add a pinch of salt and allow to drain oil.

Warm Cabbage and Apple Salad

3 cooking apples such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored. and quartered
1 head of red cabbage finely sliced
a couple sprigs of thyme, lemon thyme is called for if you can find it
splash of cider vinegar

Heat a small amount of olive oil in pan and add apples.  Cook until just under done and reaming ingredients and cook until cabbage is tender.

Roast Pork Chops

4 pork chops
sea salt and black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons of olive oil
3 cloves of garlic
6 table spoons of butter or more to taste
3 or four fresh sage leaves
a few healthy glugs of Marsala cooking wine
 
With kitchen scissors make diagonal cuts into the fat, be careful not to cut into the pork chop.  Heat your olive oil in a pan and fry over medium heat adding the garlic. Just toward the end of cooking add your butter and baste the pork chops.  It is unbelievable how much flavor this step adds!  Add your Marsala wine and allow to reduce to a syrup like consistency.

And that's it. "Roast Pork Chops and Warm Cabbage with Apple Salad and Deep Fried Courgettes; Done!"

Is it me or dose that courgette look like a mouse?

Love Food, Live Life

The winner this week for 2011: A Foodie Odyssey is Syria!  Sorry about last week.  I was not able to post due to circumstances beyond my control.  I will do my best to get both posts up this week.  Sorry again and thanks for your patience.


Wichita Falls Foodie Wichita Falls restaurants
Proud member of FoodBlogs
All recipes are on Petitchef
                                                         
                            
 
 
 
 
 








2 comments:

  1. The apple salad looks great! well... thats about all I can eat off that plate but it all really does look awesome =)

    The stick figure plates are from www.cb2.com and the rest are from Marshalls and Homegoods!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  2. While a bit involved, this is a wonderful meal. I'm new to your blog and have spent some time browsing through your earlier entries.I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete