Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mom's New Years Lunch 2011!

This was the first time in many years I was able to bring in the New Year with my family.  We had all scattered across the country as time progressed.  But this year was brought in with my Mom, my Brother and his family, and friends of the family.  There were 15 of us or so, quite a large group. 
My Mom learned how to cook greens from a good friend, Harold Addison, when we lived in San Diego.  They are so good!  I was always a fan of cooked spinach as a child so it was no wonder I had an instant addiction.  Then I moved and lost my way in the kitchen for a few years and never made them or had them again until now.  The wait was worth it!  The flavors just come together so well, and are the perfect side dish for so many different foods.

Greens
3 bunches each of greens (collard, mustard, spinach, turnip)
1 large onion (chopped)
1 jalapeno (deseed and chopp)
4tp minced garlic
2 lb bacon (fried crisp and chopped)

Clean and tear greens into small pieces
In a large pot pour broth, as soon as it begins to boil begin adding greens.
When the greens start to cook add garlic, bacon, jalapeno and onions.
Mix well ,cook on med heat for 3 hours or until tender.


She also made Black-Eyed Peas.  I loved them.  They sure seem mighty bean like to me.  Not usually a fan of beans.  Two thumbs and big toes up to this one though.  Plus they are supposed to be one of the lucky foods to eat during the New Year.

Black-eyed Peas and Greens
2 lb bag black eyed peas
I large onion (chopped)
2 ham hocks
1/4lb chopped ham
3 cans beef broth
Soak peas over night
In large pot pour beef broth (add water as needed)
Add onion, ham and ham hocks
Cook 3 hours on low heat or until tender
Salt and pepper to taste

My Mom also bought Store brand Pork Loins.  You bag and bake them.  Super easy and uber tasty.  We had three different flavors.  Chipotle, lime, and tomato and basil.  The tomato and basil was my favorite.  It seemed to have more flavor.  The other two where good as well.  They seemed to more accent the meat with flavor, which is good because it lets the pork be the star.  But I love big flavor, so tomato basil is the one for me!
It was the perfect way to bring in the new year.  Good food and good company.  What more is there to ask for?
 
Happy New Year everyone!  Sorry the post is late but things have been very busy. 
So I'm not big on resolutions, never saw the point of letting yourself down with crazy goals.  But that changes this year! 
 
My Top Two Resolutions:
 
1) To keep this blogs forward momentum going!  Good thing are happening for me (including being featured in a new iPhone foodie app to be released soon!)and I intend to seize the moment!
eKwiper here is a link to the YouTube video of the up coming app!
2) To enter at least two Jiu-Jitsu tournaments and one amature Cage or Kickboxing fight.  Been working hard for five years now and I have found a great new coach, Preston Camble of "Red River MMA", who is pushing me in the right direction.  I was scared that I would not find a gym out here when I moved from just outside Las Vegas, where I trained under UFC fighter Steve Cantwell via One Kicks Gym and Sergio Penha Jiu-Jitsu.  What an experience I had!

Steve Cantwell after he won the 205lb. W.E.C. Title from Brian Stann.
 Steve was the last 205lb. champ of the W.E.C.

 
What are your top two resosutions?  Whats your New Year lucky food?
Lets make this year a great one!
Love Food, Live Life!
All recipes are on PetitchefProud member of FoodBlogs
Wichita Falls Foodie Wichita Falls restaurants







1 comment:

  1. Happy new year! Looks like you had a great (and tasty) time with your family!

    ReplyDelete