Thursday, January 6, 2011

Chicken Posole


Ever since I moved out to Wichita Falls (Tx.) from Pahrump (Nv.) I have had this recipe staring me in the face.  It was among a collection of magazines my Mom had gathered with recipes she liked("Sunset").  Being a soup I thought it would never happen.  As I mentioned in previous posts I don't until recently have any experience with soup.  The first thought through my head when I was eating the Spicy Carrot Soup I made during Pecan Fest 2010!, was that I'm going to make that Posole Soup! 

Keeping in the season, and it has been SO cold!  I went for it and I'm glad I did.  It is so good and serves 4 or 5 as a main dish.  Or you can stretch it further in smaller portions as a side.  I once took a trip to Guadalajara Mexico and had a Birria Soup made of goat.  It was so good.  It was not until after I was informed what it was.  Wouldn't matter though, I love to try new foods.  Aside from the goat this was very similar in taste.  This soup took me back instantly to the fun I had with my friends.

Fast to prepare at about  45 minutes of cook time this easy to prepare soup suites many needs.  With a south of the border flare and ingredients that are at nearly every grocery store, it's worth a try...

Here's what you'll need:

3 large poblano chilies (No more than a pound)
6 cloves of garlic
1 large onion
2 cans 14 1/2oz cans of white hominy beans
1 1/2 pounds of diced chicken (I used bonless breast)
salt to taste
2 teaspoons Mexican oregano, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 cups chicken broth, or bullion
3 tablespoons New Mexico Chile, ground
Garnish with avocado and cilantro
serve with tortillas or as side dish

 




Preheat your broiler, when ready broil poblano chilies rotating as necessary until the outer skin is blackened.  Should take around 15 minutes or so.  While broiling chilies  use a food processor to mince garlic and onion.

Drain hominy and set aside.  Cut Chicken into bite size pieces.  Season with salt and Mexican oregano.  Cook Chicken one half at a time, browning the outside.  Avoid searing all the way through as you still have some simmering to do.  Make sure your chicken stock is hot and read to go for the next step.  (To do so your going to have to boil broth and add New Mexican Chile and simmer 30 seconds.)  Reduce heat on your onion and garlic mixture, add remaining Mexican oregano and mix thoroughly.  Add Chicken Chile stock. 
Combine remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes at least to let flavors mix.  Peel, stem, and seed poblano chilies and dice.  Add poblano Chile  just before serving and top with garnish.  Serve and enjoy.

Love Food, Live Life!
Proud member of FoodBlogsWichita Falls Foodie Wichita Falls restaurantsAll recipes are on Petitchef
The Tex-Mex Cookbook: A History in Recipes and PhotosA Gringo's Guide to Authentic Mexican Cooking (Cookbooks and Restaurant Guides)Williams-Sonoma Collection: Mexican


3 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I love soup and I will try this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm.... GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!! Fab presentation, my friend! =)

    xoXOxo
    jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good. I'm going to try it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete