Sunday, January 23, 2011

Butter Roasted Rib Eye with Grilled Artichoke & New Carrots, A tribute to Gordon Ramsay: part 1 of 3

 
If you are a first time reader then you don't know my favorite celebrity chef is Gordon Ramsay.  He is my culinary idol for many reasons.  He is a Master Chef with 16 Michelin Stars.  That is no small achievement.  He is a Master restaurateur with 11 active restaurants and pubs.  Not to mention all the T.V. shows he stars in.  My passion for food goes beyond the kitchen, and Gordon Ramsay has been a major influence as to what can be done with FOOD and the industry that surrounds it.

I have made the argument before that he is not as he seems in the well know T.V. show "Hell's Kitchen".  I mean really who would work like that?  I'm sure you could find another chef to train under.  There are plenty these days that's for sure.  It's the point of your curiosity to see how far he will go this week and to put potential Executive Chef's under immense pressure.  Would you watch if he took them aside and stroked their egos, then gently explained how they could do things better and or more efficiently?  No.  I know I wouldn't.

 










 I recived a set of his cookwear for christmas and have been itching to try it out!  So here Is a part 1 of a 3 part tribute to Gordon Ramsay.  This is one I'm excited about.  This is one of my favorite dinners ever!  When I lived with Joe and Jennifer, my roommates right out of high school basically, I could not wait for them to take a trip somewhere just so I could cook a Rib Eye and Artichoke dinner.  So this is an old favorite reinvented for me.  Now with a Ramsay flare this dinner is taken to the next level, and I stress again! IT IS EASY!

One thing I'm constantly struggling with for my cooking is ingredients.  I live in a small city in Texas, Wichita Falls to be exact, and some of the dishes I cook call for what seems to be out of the norm for this little city.  So between that and my budget I make do.  My versions of the dish are as true as I could get, and again show how attainable cooking AWESOME LOOKING and equally TASTING food can be. 

Here's What You'll Need:
(my version)

New Carrots:
2 portions of baby carrots (you be the judge of what you will eat)
2 or 3 sprigs of chopped fresh thyme
1 sprig of fresh rosemary
olive oil to fry carrots
bakers sugar to taste (an ultra fine sugar that dissolves fast)
a splash or to of sherry cooking wine
sea salt and black pepper to taste

Par-boil your carrots until semi tender.

Preheat the a pan with olive oil.  Add all ingredients to pan and cook until tender.

 
Grilled Artichoke:


1 or two artichokes
1 lemon per artichoke
white wine vinegar to taste
olive oil to brown artichokes
sea salt and black pepper

Fill a mixing bowl of cold water and squeeze lemon, add some sea salt, white wine vinegar, and black pepper and set aside.  Cut your artichoke in half and remove the choke, or fuzzy center.  Rub the cut halves of artichoke to prevent oxidation.  Place artichokes and lemon halves in water and allow to soak.

Add the lemon water to a pot with lemons and artichoke, bring to a boil and cook artichoke until it is tender.

Add olive oil to mixing bowl with one half of artichoke at a time and season to taste with sea salt and black pepper.  Transfer to a preheated griddle pan and brown the artichokes.
 
Butter Roasted Rib Eye:

2 rib eye steaks
1 or two crushed cloves of unpeeled garlic per steak (keeping the peels will help prevent scorching garlic)
a few sprigs of thyme
a few sprigs of rosemary
1 table spoon olive oil divided (1/2 per steak)
a few knobs of butter (1/4 tablespoon portions are about a "knob" of butter)

Rub sea salt and black pepper into steaks.  Preheat pan. If you cook steaks in separate portions, say you need to serve four you'll need four steaks, rinse pan and use fresh herbs so they do not burn.  Add thyme, rosemary, unpeeled crushed garlic cloves, and steak.  Cook until just about desired temperature add a couple knobs of butter and baste steak towards end of cooking.


That's it.  Plate, serve, and enjoy!  It's a good one, and looks great as well.  I had fun rediscovering this old favorite.  You have got to try it if you appreciate a good steak and a fabulous artichoke! 

Do you have a favorite celebrity chef?  Who is it?  Do you have a favorite dish of theirs?  I'd love to hear about it.  Just click the comment link at the bottom of the article and share!
Update:
The votes are in for week 2 of 2011: A Foodie Odyssey and it's a tie!  Egypt and Israel are the winners.  I have decided to do a Main Dish and a Desert one from each country.  As I am working like a crazy man at my place of employment I will do my best to provide video.  I may be forced due to time constraints to post the video at a later date.

For you new readers 2011: A Foodie Odyssey is my culinary journey around the world right from my kitchen.  My goal is to show how easy foreign cuisine can be and how you can tour the world from your own kitchen!  Morocco was winner of week 1 and went very well.  Just place your vote at the top of the page to place your influence on my journey around the culinary world!

LOVE FOOD, LIVE LIFE!
All recipes are on PetitchefWichita Falls Foodie Wichita Falls restaurants
Proud member of FoodBlogs














 

1 comment:

  1. How lucky are you, those are some nice pots!
    Thanks for your artichoke recipe, always want to cook them and never can find a simple enough recipe for me to follow.
    I am jealous, I want some of those pots.

    ReplyDelete