Thursday, January 27, 2011

Beef Wellington & Sauteed Potatoes: A Tribute to Gordon Ramsay part 2 of 3

Beef Wellington.  Another recipe I had always wanted to try.  Being a fan of Ramsay I see it all the time, it's a staple on Hell's Kitchen.  That fact alone made me think it was going to be one that I would have to go to a restaurant for.  But as I have found as I started blogging, cooking can be an exciting challenge.  So I challenged myself to make Beef Wellington.  Come to find it was much easier than I had anticipated.  Not to mention it was fun! And I felt like a five star chef when it was done.

I was again faced with limited choices as to some ingredients.  I am beginning to see this as somewhat of a good thing.  It's a good way to show that you can alter the recipes to fit your needs.  It's a recipe, not a set of laws!  If I could I would follow the recipe to the letter but as I mentioned, limited market recourse's in Wichita Falls.  I used some single serving bacon wrapped fillet Mignon's, two variety of potatoes and Pillsbury pastry.  It's what I had to work with, and it came out looking awesome I think.  The fact that I found English Mustard had made my day, don't sweat the small stuff.

Here's What You Need:
Sauteed Potatoes

8 charloette potatoes
1 clove crushed garlic
1sprig thyme
salt and black pepper to taste
olive oil
 
Par boil your potatoes until just underdone.  Drain water and add to a preheated pan with remaining ingredients and saute until golden brown.  How how simple yet delicious!

Beef Wellington

3 6oz bacon wrapped fillet of beef
400g of your favorite mushrooms
6 slices of parma ham
200g puff pastry
2 egg yolks
salt and pepper to taste
 Blitz your mushrooms into almost a paste in a food processor.
Cook mushrooms in a dry pan, you want to cook the water out. That's water in the photo not oil!
Lay out 2 pieces of parma ham on a sheet of cling wrap.  Spread dehydrated mushrooms gently on to the slices of parma ham.
Brown your filet's to lock in juices.  Be careful not to overcook at this stage.
When your filet's are done browning coat them liberally with English mustard. Carefully place in center of the parma ham, two slices each, and wrap.  Use the cling wrap to make a tight seal.  This will help it set into this shape and seals the flavors in while we refrigerate them for 10 to 15 minutes.     

 


Remove from fridge and wrap in puff pastry using the egg yolks as a glue.  Don't hold back on this step, if you need more egg yolk it's no big problem.
 Coat the Wellingtons with egg yolk, score dough with a knife and garnish with salt and black pepper.
Bake at 390 degrees for about 30 to 40 minutes. Don't be afraid to check internal temperatures.

 


Look how awesome they look!
I don't like mushrooms. I used them anyway, I have been very open to new flavors and combinations of flavors from the unexpected, like green olive and pineapple.  I'm glad I did use the mushrooms because they brought the dish back to earth.  I sauteed the steak as I did with the rib eye in the previous post, between that and the mustard, bacon, and the tasty pastry my taste buds took off into orbit!  It was an explosion of flavor and just when you think its to much the mushrooms level out the flavors.  Good thing I used to mustard as well, not to fond of spicy or brown mustard's.  But again it just added a depth of flavor that made the Wellington what it is.  And English favorite, and now one of mine! 








Love Food, Live Life!
















Wichita Falls Foodie Wichita Falls restaurants
All recipes are on PetitchefProud member of FoodBlogs


P.S. if you like Sci-Fi or have a family member or friend that dose I am writing and online novel.  Please refer them to this site.... http://universe-novel.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

  1. I've been potato crazy lately! Those look so sooooo good! =)

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been dying to try beef wellington and I love that you did it with little filets! I saw that you were in wichita falls I had to say hello- we have some good friends that live there! We're just a few hours south!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had this last night was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are Gordon Ramsay Fans too and I want Beef Wellington so bad, so my hubby is going to fix it for our anniversary. Thanks for giving us the info on how to do it! Here's hoping it turns at as nice as yours did!

    ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your kind words! I hope you have a wonderful anniversary and be sure to let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete