Friday, January 21, 2011

2011: A Foodie Odessey, Part 1 Morocco

This is it. Part one of 2011: A Foodie Odyssey.  The first country selected by YOU THE READERS was Morocco.  Great choice, it was a fun recipe to do and super easy when it all breaks down. 

One thing has really amazed me since I started this blog and have begun to talk to people at work about it, I'm really quite shy and quiet at work. People think cooking is difficult!  They think cooking outside their box is just unattainable.  It's sad to me.  Most people at work don't know this but my old roommates would not let me cook.  I had a tendency to over cook or "burn" everything.  But I always loved to cook and when they where out of town it is what I looked forward to the most.  I would get online, find a recipe and cook!

All the recipes you see me post with very few exceptions are my first experience with them.  They really are easy it just takes some time and some planning.  The pay off is so worth it though.  Just like this Moroccan Chicken and Cucumber Salad with Roasted Red Pepper Recipe.  A quick search online and I had a dish that just sounded wonderful to me.  Not to mention that it looked pretty simple to do.  And thus I was able to take a trip across the globe with my taste buds!  Much easier on the pocketbook!

Here is what you need
8 chicken legs
1 can 8oz pineapple
1 large onion chopped
2 cloves of finely
chopped garlic
2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon cornstarch
 1 tablespoon cold waer
 1/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
1 tablespoon chopped parsley

Chop your onion and garlic.  Mix the pineapple, onion, garlic, lemon juice, salt, marjoram, crushed red pepper, and turmeric.  Place chicken in slow cooker and top with pineapple mixture.  Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or until the the juices from chicken run clear.  Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and keep warm.  Turn slow cooker up to high setting.  Dissolve cornstarch in water and add to pineapple sauce stir liberally and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.  Top chicken with sauce, garnish with olives and parsley, and serve!







FOR THE CUCUMBER & ROASTED RED PEPPER SALAD
2 cucumbers peeled and grated
1 tomato, de-seeded and chopped
chopped roasted red pepper to taste
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
chopped black olive to taste
chopped roasted red pepper to taste
1 tomato de-seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar


I combined two recipes that I could not choose between.  And it turned out great, just remember to DRAIN THE WATER FROM CUCUMBER AND TOMATO, after grating and dicing.  Peel your cucumber, de-seed and dice tomato ass to mixing bowl and DRAIN!  Chop your roasted red pepper, and add remaining ingredients to mixing bowl.  Mix, and if not served immediately cover and chill.

Just as easy as that I was able to take a taste of a country almost half a world away.  It was so delicious!  The chicken was sweet and spicy, and when you got a olive in the bite you got the salt.  It's like a concert of flavors in your mouth.  I'm glad it was the first choice for the 2011: A Foodie Odyssey!  It went tasted and looked awesome and was easy to do.  Making the video was the hardest part of the whole process.  I hope you try this one and take a short trip to Morocco from your kitchen. You'll be glad you took the extra time!

Egypt is in the lead for next weeks Country, with 2 days left to vote! Don't forget to cast your vote at the top of this page!

All recipes are on Petitchef
LOVE FOOD, LIVE LIFE!


Wichita Falls Foodie Wichita Falls restaurantsProud member of FoodBlogs

No comments:

Post a Comment