Sunday, December 19, 2010

Going Nuts With Pecans part 2 Pecan and Blueberry Baked French Toast!

What the shell?!  No one told me how difficult it was going to be to shell all those pecans!  It was a process let me tell you.  I had the most frustrating time trying to crack the perfect pecan.  I did a little snooping around on the Internet and found that they actually farm pecans with thin shells. The thinner the shell the more valuable they become.  My harvest would be worthless I bet.  It was like trying to crack open rocks!  I had a bruise on the palm of my hand by the time I was done shelling.  I had a long first day of Pecan
Fest2010. But it was worth it.
                                                                   

   So on to day two of Pecan Fest 2010!  The Cranberry Pecan Bars where awesome and I could not wait to try this french toast recipe.  French toast and I get along well.  It's one of my favorite breakfast foods.  I often forget that there are baked versions which give more depth in flavor I believe.  The recipe often calls for the bread to be soaked in the batter, allowing intense flavor throughout each bite.  
The recipe I went with called for fresh blueberry which was another plus for me.  Not to mention I got to make my own flavored syrup!  Not a big fan of good old maple but it will do in a pinch.  

    After a late night of baking Cranberry Pecan Bars, prepping the Pecan and Blueberry Baked French Toast, playing some Black Ops on the PS3, and catching up on The Office.  I was in the need of good breakfast.  This recipe was fun and simple.  Looks spectacular.  And tastes even better.  Not to mention it featured my pecans!



What you'll need:

The prep work the night before,
a 24 inch baguette
6 large eggs
3 cups whole milk
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup now 1/4 cup later, brown sugar (1cup total)

As I mentioned above I did the prep work the night before.  It was easy and did not take long.  Start by cutting your bread into twenty1 inch slices.  I a actually had to add more, didn't cut them thick enough I don't think.  After you arrange them in the baking dish you can start working on the batter.To make the batter you naturally add the remaining ingredients from above and whisk...
Then pour evenly over your bread slices.  Wrap and put in refrigerator over night. At least eight hours in advance if not more.  Go to bed and dream of Pecans an Blueberries!

What you'll need:

your soaked bread
1/2 stick butter cut into pieces
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup blueberries
1 cup or 3 oz. of fresh pecans

     Upon waking and doing what it takes to get up and going, you can get started on the final steps of your dish. And move on to gastronomic bliss.  Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees and get your pecans toasting.  Once that is done top your battered bread with blueberries and toasted pecans.  Melt your butter and brown sugar down and pour evenly over your french toast.
Bump up the temperature of the oven to 400 degrees and place your dish in the center of the oven.  Bake for twenty minutes or until the juice from the blueberries starts to run.  Now we can begin our syrup...

What you'll need:

1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
THE COMPLETE DISH SERVES SIX
Add the ingredients from above to a pre-heated sauce pan.  Simmer for around 3 minutes over moderate heat, or until the berries begin to burst.  Pour through strainer, press the blueberries with a ladle to get all the juices.  I used some left over bread to eat the reaming pulp.  Waste not want not!
Now all that is left to do is portion and serve.  Another easy win.  Filling.  Decadently sweet.  Freshly refreshing.  Easily one of my new favorites.  You can look like a pro and have an easy time of it.  I hope you try it for for yourself and tell me what you think!
Love Food, Live Life!

Proud member of FoodBlogs
Wichita Falls Foodie Wichita Falls restaurants

7 comments:

  1. I love this, best I ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your French toast recipe looks fantastic--I absolutely love French Toast as it is, so I can only imagine how awesome it would taste to add blueberries and pecans :)

    And I can honestly say I've never cracked a pecan...I've only bought them the lazy way--already shelled and ready to cook with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tahnx Kylie, I do have a new breakfast fav. for sure, and it's really easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had this breakfast instead of the one cup of milk I had this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Milk! I forgot the milk! That would have made it a perfect breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since they're so hard to open I can definitely see what the thinner skinned ones are worth more. It looks like it was worth all the work though! This baked french toast looks amazing, especially with all those beautiful blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love pecans - this sounds really good! I would love it drenched with maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete