Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Caramelized Apple Pork Chops w/ Baked Stuffed Apple & Apple Butter Rum Sauce

     Ahh! Winter is in the air! My favorite season by far. Snow, warm muled apple cider, the holidays.   And all the goodies that come along with!  Not to mention that its harvest season for one of my favorite fruits.  The Apple.  Granny Smith to be exact.  Nothing like the sweet and sour combo provided by nature I say.  I used to dread this season as a younger man, my first job was at "The Julian Pie Co." in the back country of San Diego.  Here is a link to their web site: 


     They harvest apples fresh from their orchards every year along with numerous other farms and make homemade apple pie.  I used to have to be there by 3 A.M. to peel apples so the bakers would have fresh apples to work with.  Talk about a cramp in the party life!  Throngs of tourists would flood the small town of Julian and lines would go out the door of most establishments from open till after closing. 
     Even after all that I still love the apple, who is the star of this dish.  The chops are there for protein and filler hahahha!  I made the caramelized apple chops for my Mom when I had to move back in with her for a short stint, and she loved them.  I have been looking for a recipe to share via my blog for sometime and one day as I stepped out  the door to let Miss Bella (my beautiful dog) out for the morning and the cold slapped me in the face it hit me.  Caramelized Apple Pork Chops With Baked Stuffed Apple!
     But what to stuff my apple with?  That was the question.  I hit the Internet and did some research.  There are no shortage of Baked Stuffed Apple recipes let me tell ya.  But I had the idea of some kind of nuts for the stuffing as apposed to breading due to stuffing overload on Thanksgiving.  After finding a recipe, "It's missing something still." I thought to myself.     After some more digging I found a Butter Rum Sauce that topped one of the Baked Stuffed Apples and I knew it was meant to be.  As I was planning out how to film this segment a light dawned on me.  I had some left over apple after making my slices for my caramelized apples.  This would not due.  I have been watching a lot of Bizzar Foods with Andrew Zimmern and most bizzar foods seem to stem from not wanting to waste food.  How Bizzar?  Or how ironic?  So the thought hit me to liquefy the leftover apple and add it to my Butter Rum Sauce.  Whoa! (Joey Lawerence just made $ .15! LOL!)  Now we have Apple Butter Rum Sauce!
     Now it was all falling into place.  A winter dish that made Mrs. Granny Smith the star!  Now remember as you eat this it's meant to be a winter treat and not a once a week meal.  Heck even once every three months might be to much.  This is a winter treat to celebrate the season, and help with getting younger ones to experience different combinations of food in a fun way.  I'm hard pressed to think of a kid that would not give it a taste! 

video

What I did,
 
Baked Stuffed Apple
 
2 apples
 
1/2 cup + 2 tsp. brown sugar
 
2 tbsp. un-salted sweet butter
 
2 tbsp. h2o
 
cinnamon to taste
 
nutmeg to taste
 
crushed cinnamon coated pecans
 
crushed pecans
 
I used candied pecans and halved the recipe.
 
The actual Baked Stuffed recipe:

Caramelized Apple

2 apples

1/3 cup apple cider

3 tbsp. un-salted sweet butter

cinnamon to taste

nutmeg to taste

sugar to taste

I left out the brown sugar.  I also did not remove the apples from the pan and cooked over very low heat to compensate for Baked Stuffed Apple cook time.

The actual recipe I usually use:


Apple Butter Rum Sauce

2 tbsp. nearly liquefied apple

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup heavy cream

1/4 tbsp. un-sated sweet butter

Rum to taste
(I used Big Apple Bicardi to add more apple to my bite!)

I just halved the recipe and added the fresh apple.

The actual Butter Rum recipe:


Cinnamon Nutmeg Pork Chops
recipe by: C.J. Tate

pork chops

cinnamon to taste

nutmeg to taste

Light Pam or some other low cal non stick substance for goodness sake!

Wichita Falls Foodie Wichita Falls restaurants
Proud member of FoodBlogs

No comments:

Post a Comment