Sunday, December 26, 2010

Cake Balls! And Christmas Dinner 2010!

This month has been a whirlwind.  The holidays have a way of speeding up time somehow.  Was a great December aside from getting no snow.  But I can be patient since there are no Snowboard resorts within a days drive.  No time to worry about that because it was the week before Christmas in a flash.  Being the first Christmas in more than ten years that I didn't have to work, needless to say I was excited.  Dinner was to be at my Mom's and she asked me to bring desert. 

I had the perfect idea.  While reading  some of my favorite blogs I stumbled upon an "Oreo Cookie Truffle" recipe on A Hungry Spoon.  Funny thing is the day after I read it a girl at work told me about the Cake Balls, and brought them in the following day.  They are so good!  The chocolate is firm and the cake inside just melts in your mouth.  The recipe is easy but time consuming if you undertake a multi cake project like I did.
The recipe is easy enough.

Here's what you'll need:

a box of your favorite cake, or bake your own!
frosting for the cake
your favorite chocolate coating, about 24 oz. (1 lb. & 8oz.) per cake.
All you have to do is bake the cake.  When its done baking and still warm, not hot!  Break the cake apart into a large mixing bowl.  Add frosting and mix with large spoon of some sort.  When the consistency of a puddy your ready to roll!  Roll the Cake Balls that is!  There are many techniques on how to do this.  I just rolled them by hand.  After they are all rolled up place in the freezer and let freeze.  This will help when it comes time to dip, the cake is delicate and falls apart easy if it warms up.

When your ready to start dipping follow the melting instructions on the packaging of your chocolate coating.  Grab your Cake Balls and a tooth pick of two and get to dipping.  I dipped the bottom 3/4 of the Cake Ball and placed in the fridge to cool,  then dipped the tops.  They turned out alright for my first attempt I think.
While I was rolling out the Cake Balls and watching a South Park Christmas marathon on Netflix, I had a creative moment.  In the spirit of the season I was going to make a Cake Ball Snowman!
I formed the larger Cake Balls, made the hat from the cake as well and dipped in chocolate. Hunted down some twigs for his arms.  Carved a carrot down for his nose and cheated and used a sharpie to draw the eyes and mouth.  They where all a well received at the dinner party, and by the end we where all in a sugar and wine induced coma.

The rest of dinner was excellent.  I baked a Prime Rib, nothing fancy.  I just use McCormick Spicy Montreal Steak seasoning and a little garlic powder and rub generously onto the meat.  Baking times vary according to weight.  We also had a Spiral Ham with maple and brown sugar.  Sweet potato pie.  Steamed veggies.  Au gratin potatoes.  And my Mom's Avocado salad.  It was all delicious and topped off by the company of friends and family on a beautiful Christmas afternoon.
 

  I hope you all had a wonderful Holiday!
Love Food, Live Life!
Proud member of FoodBlogs

All recipes are on Petitchef

Wichita Falls Foodie Wichita Falls restaurants
Williams Sonoma Kids BakingThe Farmer's Wife Baking Cookbook: Over 300 blue-ribbon recipes!

5 comments:

  1. Mmm cake balls. I want. Although I do think it's kind of funny to make a cake just to tear it apart lol. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake balls look fantastic! I've been dying to try these, but have yet to--your pictures look convincing enough to get me in the kitchen to make some now though!

    So glad you had a wonderful Christmas filled with good company and good eats :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart your comments - you are too flipping sweet!

    Kudos on the cake balls, I envision myself burning the cake and then having said burt cake drop into the chocolate and disintegrate when I try to retrieve it... I have baking nightmares it's true!

    a friend of mine had to mail me holiday cookies, fudge and cake balls b/c I ruined the cookies I tried to make. haha FAIL!

    Yours look like they came out perfect! Kudos on being able to cook AND bake... that, my friend, is a skill! =)

    Catalina wine mixer worthy, even ;) haha

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies for all the wounderful feedback! and all the help you have given a new blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just saw your recipe on the cake balls. I think it's really neat. It would be a good one to make with the kids. I'm going to share this with my friends. I love the snow man cake creation. Looks soo yummy!

    ReplyDelete